Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Clam Cakes in Summer


There's a good reason for driving 7 hours without stopping from Maryland to Rhode Island.

Clamcakes.

In the summer there's nothing like them . . . We stand in line at Aunt Carrie's on Ocean Road in Narragansett for more than an hour sometimes on weekends when everybody's blue from being in the waves too long.

The clamcakes in this photo look a little greasy. But you get the idea. My favorite parts are the crunchy little "tails" of dough that get extra fried so the crisp talks to you when you bite down.

My dad met us at Aunt Carrie's one time when we were staying at the Anchor Motel just down the road. He always ordered the New England clam chowder, which is white. New York chowder is red. Every time I pick "red" I can hear that 60s Beach Boys song, "Be True to Your School." And I can see my dad shaking his head and mumbling, "Meredith."

And don't even mention not really liking lobster. What kind of Rhode Islander are you? Um, the kind that left home for college in the mid-60s to go to school in DC because the drinking age was 18? Who would admit to that?

Certainly not me.

If you ask me, I've lived up here all my life. My heart and soul walk that beach every single day without fail, rain or shine, just after sunrise.

1 comment:

  1. I thought you meant crabcakes when you first mentioned the article. These look and sound delicious. I've never tried one but you have sold me on them.
    Do you by chance have a recipe or is this trip a serious must? Sue makes the most delicious crabcakes you would ever want to indulge in. Lots of crab meat, and small amounts of other ingredients.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I appreciate it. I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Peace, Meredith