Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Something about New Orleans

About a year ago, I flew to New Orleans for a few days for work. I had some time to explore the French Quarter, and I noticed that many houses and even restaurants have little gardens in their backyards.

As you can see from the photo, it's cool and easy back here. Easy to sit down, easy to watch the bricks stay in place with no effort at all.

And it's easy to appreciate time standing still for a little while.

There's a graciousness here . . . even after the Katrina devastation. I'm sure many more people are heading back to NOLA this year.

The city was still a ghost town back then. Not far from where I took this photo, I had my palm read. She said things would be getting better for me real soon. I must have looked a little tired or maybe that beignet and coffee left me feeling a little impatient as she shuffled the cards over and over again and watched me settle into her miniature lawn chair.

When it was my turn to ask a question, I couldn't think of one thing I wanted to know in advance. So I asked, "Does it ever cool down around here?"

She nodded. "Stick around for a couple of months. You'll see . . ."

1 comment:

  1. meredith,
    she was shuffling the cards repeatedly so she could read your body language, and get a feel for what you were all about.
    not one question? i'd have asked about writing or anything personal about my children or life. i never run out of questions, and i readily volunteer information. maybe too much at times, but fear has never been one of my strong points. "smile"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I appreciate it. I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Peace, Meredith