Friday, June 20, 2008

Summer Solstice


Today is the longest day of the year, the Summer Solstice. At 8 pm tonight, one minute after the big moment, the days will officially begin to get shorter and shorter until the Winter Solstice in December.

If a beach appeared on Rockville Pike and waves rolled in over the parking lot at White Flint mall, this would be a perfect first day of summer. Of course if you are planning to drive to the beach tomorrow, I'll be happy to buy your cow and your last sack of beans for the gas money you'll need to get there. Oh, and your lower 40. And your house.

In the photo above, my daughter is enjoying a Solstice moment -- actually, the Winter Solstice -- in Cancun last year. I also plan to post a photo of my son in a sombrero with his partner in crime, a burro with his own sombrero.

Flying is less expensive than driving these days. That's if you don't take anything besides a toothbrush and a change of bloomers. I heard gas will rocket to $6 a gallon next year. Remember when we used to make fun of Europeans for their expensive gas?

American ingenuity always rises to the occasion, though. I heard about a family that sold all their cars and now use horses to get around.

My wish for this astrological power day is that we all figure out how to get around by levitation or sturdy little wings that can be stored unnoticed under our shirts while we're at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I appreciate it. I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Peace, Meredith