Thursday, June 26, 2008

Whale of a Tale


When you're visiting Baja California Sur, one of the most amazing things is the world around you.

My first time in Cabo, I flew in a 12-seat Cessna up the coastline about 300 miles to La Bahia de Magdalena. There in the shallow water (max depth 60 feet) of the surrounding lagoons, gray whales raise their young.

The locals make a living by giving touristas, in groups of four or six, rides out in their pangas to meet and greet these gentle huge creatures.

In the photo, I'm making my way over to pet the mother whale who came up to say hello as soon as we turned off the boat's rattling engine. They're like big dogs these whales. When you splash the water the come right up to you, fearless and happy. And they actually look at you. Their eyes remind me of an elephant's eyes, ringed and seeming a little tired.

Funny thing is that gray whales and elephants are almost the same color. I've never petted an elephant, so I'm not sure if their skin is as bumpy as a whale's.

Maybe I'll go to the zoo, hose down an elephant, find a ladder, and pet its head. It might be easier to make my way back to Magdalena Bay next February to pet a whale again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I appreciate it. I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Peace, Meredith